Blogi

Poster designs for Skaterz Delight Dance Club: Talent’s experiences about the project

My task was to create a set of poster designs for Skaterz Delight Dance Club. The idea was that you can share these designs with possible business partners, dance instructors etc. (Scroll down for the pictures) I wanted to highlight my creative thinking behind these poster designs. They represent a small sample size of the whole project. The project took about 40-50 hours from start to finish.

A brief summary of the design process

The project guidelines were:

  • to portray a sense of fun, club atmosphere and/or movement
  • to use the selected taglines
  • to use the associated company info
  • make at least 2-4 different designs

The layout, fonts and color boxes were made with Canva. The tool was quite easy to use, and it offers good number of premade templates, assets, pictures, filters etc. for creating different kinds of marketing material. Canva was a perfect tool for me since I was a bit inexperienced with design work and Adobe tools at the time.

These design layouts are mostly my own creations, but I’m sure I was influenced by other poster designs. I started the design process by checking out the Canva templates and inserting all the needed assets to a pre-made template. Then I created the dancing characters and inserted them to different Canva layouts and templates. Some of them worked ok from the start, but I still had to take time to place all the assets to right places.

During this project I used Canva, Illustrator and Photoshop to create assets for poster designs. The layout was made with Canva and the dancing characters with Photoshop/Illustrator. The dancing characters have “disco ball reflection” mask and simple white outline. I transformed the characters into vector images with Adobe Illustrator.

I met with the client couple of times. These meetings were important for getting feedback and learn how well the designs matched the design objectives and the client’s expectations. The first draft of designs was ok, but they had this sense of “beginner level” design layout that wasn’t quite there yet. After our second meeting we agreed that I make a new set of poster designs and more character designs. Our third meeting was with the project instructor, where we discussed together delve into the second patch of designs I had made. The project ended after I had made some small fixes and a set of Finnish text versions of the selected final designs.

What I learned

  • I learned the design workflow and what creative work is in practice
  • I got more experience with Canva, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
  • I learned a lot about client and creator cooperation = how to create –> get feedback –> create again –> get feedback etc.
  • I noticed that my first designs had too much stuff in them. “Less is more” approach for the win!

Few poster designs and the ideas behind them

“Atma text” design. The layout creates a nice V-shape that guides the viewer to look all the available information.  First, the layout presents the main tagline (or “the hook”), then the company name with layered taglines and at the bottom it ends with additional details of the company. I could have perhaps made the characters to pop up more from the orange background, but I feel this was one of the best designs I made. This was my personal favorite.

“The Spartan text” and early orange “Atma text” designs. I noticed there is a bit of unused space on the left side of the poster, so I made a variation of this design with a colorful wave graphic (not present here). The bottom half is also way too busy with all the text and characters living in a small space. I really liked the idea that the company name blends slightly with the white background. In the end, the big company name took too much space, so I should have made some adjustments to the “Spartan text” design for it to work properly. It is easy to see how the “Atma text” design evolved from the “Spartan text” design.

The “Skaterz grid” design. I think this design was partly inspired by the “Gorillaz” album cover of “Demon days” and partly by disco lights making a grid shape on the dance floor/walls. I used different color palettes to see how well they work with the created characters. The grid design puts more skaters and colors on display, which I liked. My goal was to get the right mix and match of colors between the grid boxes and characters.

Logo sketches and typography tests. Extra stuff I made just for fun. I imagined the logos could be used with company T-shirts or hoodies. These were made with Canva.

Author: Joonas Saarenpää, international talent in E2eB project

Please follow and like us: